By: Matt Rothman
After a strong regular season, J.P. Taravella’s varsity football team has a chance to continue their year, as they face off against Miami Palmetto Senior High School in the FHSAA 8A playoffs.
The Trojans finished their regular season with a 5-5 record. In the past two seasons, they have won 12 games, after winning only 12 from 2014-2017.
However, they will have a considerable challenge ahead of themselves when they face one of the top teams in the state of Florida. Miami Palmetto has won nine out of 10 games averaging 42.1 points per game in their wins, including three consecutive weeks with a shutout. Their one loss this season came against Cardinal Gibbons High School.
“This team is excited to break the curse,” said head coach Charles Hafley Jr. “We want to represent J.P. Taravella Trojans with pride.”
So far this season, Taravella won five of their last eight games after starting the season 0-3, including their remarkable 27-26 win over Coral Springs High School in overtime. After Dylan Garcia threw a touchdown to his favorite receiver, Reggie Wallace, JPT took a seven-point lead in the extra session.
Despite Coral Springs scoring a touchdown, the Trojans blocked the ensuing point after by Adrian Brown to secure the crazy win. They also defeated Coral Glades, Piper, Nova, and South Plantation.
The matchup with Miami Palmetto Senior High School will take place at Tropical Park in Miami on Friday, Nov. 8, at 7 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 14, 2023J.P. Taravella Girls Volleyball Off to Best Start in 11 Years
- NewsSeptember 12, 2023J.P. Taravella’s Javi Miranda Commits to Join 3 Former Teammates in College
- NewsSeptember 6, 2023J.P. Taravella Boys Cross Country Finish 5th in Opening Race
- NewsAugust 17, 2023J.P. Taravella’s Anthony Quigley Plays in Baseball Factory All-American Game