By Kevin Deutsch
A man who grabbed a pregnant woman by her neck during a road rage incident in Tamarac was re-arrested last week for ignoring the conditions of his pretrial release, court records show.
Raynard Paul, 26, of Tamarac, was picked up by Broward Sheriff’s Office Tamarac district deputies on April 7 for an outstanding warrant for the roadside aggravated battery, according to an arrest affidavit.
The arrest warrant was issued after Paul stopped communicating with his BSO pretrial specialist in October 2021, records show. Paul had been required to contact the specialist twice a week as part of his release agreement with the court, according to BSO.
In the months leading up to last week’s arrest, Paul’s whereabouts and activities were unknown.
The incident which led to Paul’s initial arrest happened on March 13, 2019, when Paul was a passenger in a car being driven by his girlfriend. As the couple drove on Northwest 28th Court in Tamarac, a pregnant female driver caused an accident with their vehicle, the affidavit states.
The pregnant woman and Paul got into an argument, records show. Seeing that Paul was upset, the woman drove off to find a safe location for her and her unborn baby; she told investigators.
The car Paul was riding in followed the woman’s vehicle down West Sample Road, then onto Coral Hills Drive, deputies said. There, Paul “armed himself with an unknown object and used it to strike the victim’s vehicle as she drove,” the affidavit states.
The victim kept steering until she pulled into a random driveway on Northwest 98th Way, records show.
That’s when Paul grabbed her by the neck area, despite her telling and showing him she was pregnant, the records allege.
The pregnant woman suffered minor pain and redness to her throat and neck areas but declined treatment from paramedics, according to BSO.
Paul, who admitted to knowing the woman was pregnant when he grabbed her, was arrested for aggravated battery and has pleaded not guilty, records show.
He was being held without bond Wednesday at the Broward Main Jail.
Got News? Please send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.12.05Tamarac Crime Update: Stalker Called Woman 50 Times, Sent 500 Messages
- News2022.12.01Tamarac Man Pleads Guilty to Assaulting Officer During Jan. 6 Attack on Capitol
- News2022.11.30Traffic Homicide Detectives Probe Tamarac Crash that Killed Child
- News2022.11.27Tamarac Crime Update: USPS Mail Carrier Robbed at Gunpoint