By Kevin Deutsch
A Tamarac man wanted for opening fire during a road rage incident—apparently infuriated by a driver honking his car horn—was arrested this week for carrying an illegal gun, court records show.
Broward Sheriffs’ Office deputies booked Michael Irrizarry, 30, into the Broward Main Jail Oct. 4 on charges of weapon possession by a convicted Florida felon, carrying a concealed firearm, and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, according to an arrest affidavit.
Irrizarry, who had open warrants stemming from the May 14 road rage shooting in Oakland Park, crashed his vehicle on Oct. 4 in the 8600 block of NW 77th St. in Tamarac, according to BSO.
A deputy responding to the accident spotted a Titan Tiger .38 revolver in Irrizarry’s right front pocket, a gun for which he had no permit, according to the affidavit.
Irrizarry, who has prior criminal convictions for fleeing and eluding and resisting with violence, is legally barred from possessing a gun, the records show.
According to the affidavit, a warrant search by deputies revealed Irrizarry’s pending charges from the road rage incident, which began when a man driving behind Irrizarry grew impatient and honked his horn.
Irrizarry stepped out of his car and displayed a gun, then got back in and made a U-turn, according to BSO.
The driver followed him into a nearby Burger King parking lot on Oakland Park Boulevard, where Irrizarry again stepped out of his car and fired a single shot at him, the records allege.
The round missed, and Irrizarry got away, according to BSO.
He had remained at large until this week, deputies said.
Irrizarry was released from the Broward Main Jail on a $6,000 bond, records show.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.12.26Tamarac Crime Update: Carjacking and Drug Overdose
- News2022.12.18Tamarac Man Had Sex With Child, Solicited Explicit Photos
- News2022.12.18Tamarac Crime Update: Burglar Uses Rock to Smash Store Window, Steal Merchandise
- News2022.12.10Tamarac Crime Update: Four Vehicles Stripped of Tires, Rims