By Kevin Deutsch
A man was arrested in Tamarac earlier this month for allegedly smashing his girlfriend over the head with a heavy acoustic drum and choking her unconscious one day before threatening to kill her while armed with a machete, court records show.
Minkah Davidson-Guillams, 28, of Lauderhill, is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, domestic battery by strangulation, and grand theft, the last charge a result of his stealing the victim’s Hewlett Packard laptop computer and iPhone after attacking her with the acoustic drum, according to the records.
According to an arrest affidavit filed by the Broward Sheriff’s Office, Davidson-Guillams pulled a machete on the victim, with who he had been in an intimate romantic relationship for about a year, and told her, “I am going to kill you,” prompting her to drive away from the Tamarac residence and call law enforcement on Jan. 13, the day of the machete assault.
The night before, according to the affidavit, Davidson-Guillams had grabbed the woman by the arm, then armed himself with the acoustic drum “which he lifted and then smashed on the victim’s head,” causing her to bleed profusely and receive head staples at HCA Florida Woodmont Hospital in Tamarac.
After the acoustic drum attack, Davidson-Guillams grabbed the victim by her neck and squeezed with both hands, briefly causing her to lose consciousness and fall to the ground as he choked her, deputies alleged in the court records.
Davidson-Guillams left the crime scene but was later located by BSO, records show. He was held on a $126,000 bond Sunday at the Broward Main Jail.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsFebruary 17, 2024Bolton Says He Won’t Accept Benefits From Tamarac’s Shaker Village Deal
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Detectives Arrest Suspect in Fire That Killed Tamarac Woman
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Tamarac Rejects Land Sale to Developer for Village Project
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024BSO Makes 17 Arrests After String of Tamarac Car Thefts