By Kevin Deutsch
A North Lauderdale woman has died weeks after she was struck by an SUV in the city.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide Unit is investigating the death of Ginette Saint Louis, 59, who died June 26 from injuries she suffered in the May 6 crash, authorities said.
According to investigators, a male juvenile driving a 2016 Chevy Equinox struck Saint Louis as she walked in the 1300 block of South State Road 7 in North Lauderdale.
A preliminary investigation by BSO revealed the driver, whose name BSO did not make public, was traveling northbound on South State Road 7 in the inside lane. At the same time, Saint Louis was trying to cross South State 7 mid-block outside of a designated crosswalk, traveling from east to west, according to BSO.
Other vehicles on the road began to slow as the Chevy Equinox continued forward, investigators said. Saint Louis “then ran into the path of the Chevy Equinox” and was struck, BSO said in a press release Friday.
“The driver of the Chevy Equinox immediately stopped, remained on scene, and cooperated with the investigation,” the release states.
Paramedics took Saint Louis to Broward Health North. She was later transferred to hospice care, where she died.
Excessive speed is not considered a factor in this case, investigators said.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsFebruary 17, 2024Bolton Says He Won’t Accept Benefits From Tamarac’s Shaker Village Deal
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Detectives Arrest Suspect in Fire That Killed Tamarac Woman
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Tamarac Rejects Land Sale to Developer for Village Project
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024BSO Makes 17 Arrests After String of Tamarac Car Thefts