By: Sharon Aron Baron
If you lived during the late 1970s, there is a good chance you know one of the first-ever rap songs ever: Rapper’s Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang.
Recorded in a single take in 1979, Rapper’s Delight is credited for introducing hip hop music to a wide audience. Who could forget these lyrics?
I said a hip hop,
The hippie to the hippie
The hip hip a hop, and you don’t stop, a rock it
To the bang bang boogie, say up jump the boogie,
To the rhythm of the boogie, the beat.
It’s been 41 years, but and the Sugar Hill Gang is still performing their Top 40 hit — and they’re making a special appearance in Tamarac on Saturday, February 22.
Come and see them at One Tamarac Multicultural Festival, where there will be a variety of entertainment, cultural exhibit, food vendors, a children’s fun zone, and a fireworks finale.
In addition to The Sugar Hill Gang, musical acts include The Latin Ensemble, the Melo Groove Steel Orchestra, the Rhythms School of Dance, and Marinera en el Mundo Florida.
“One Tamarac has quickly become one of our largest and most popular community-building events,” said Tamarac Mayor Michelle Gomez. “We’ve got a great line up this year and look forward to another successful celebration of our multicultural community.”
The event takes place at the Tamarac Sports Complex, 9901 NW 77th St., from 4 – 8 pm on Saturday, February 22. Admission is free.
Event parking will be limited. The city will provide continuous shuttle bus transportation from Tamarac City Hall, 7525 NW 88th Ave., and the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Blvd., between 3:45 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. and following the fireworks.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.05.13Fallen Soldiers Honored at Tamarac’s Memorial Day Ceremony
- News2021.05.12Commission Votes Against $50,000 Leaked Memo Investigation, Hires New City Attorney
- News2021.05.11Next Free Food Distribution Dates In Tamarac, Sunrise, and Coral Springs
- News2021.05.11Bolton Blames Mayor, City Manager, After His Spending Items Are Leaked to Press