By Agrippina Fadel
Tamarac received a $50K grant from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) for the Dog Park Renovation project, and the commission accepted it at its October 12 meeting.
Mayor Michele Gomez said the city leaders were “very excited about receiving this grant,” thanked the staff for all the hard work that went into applying for it, adding that the community will appreciate all the changes and amenities to the Gary B Jones Dog Park.
The city commission approved the park’s $193K renovation plan at the July 13 meeting, and the grant funds will be added to the project’s budget.
Part of the City of Tamarac 2022 Capital Improvement Program, the project includes the replacement of benches and trash receptacles, fencing fabric, and shelter roofing. The renovation also includes the installation of new concrete pads and two wifi poles, along with landscape improvements and the painting of the shelter posts.
According to Tamarac’s Park and Recreation Director Greg Warner, the dog park, which opened in 2008, is heavily used by residents.
“Most elements of the park are original and are past the useful life span of 12-14 years. The city staff had done some repairs and replaced some pieces, but the park needs major renovations,” he said.
Warner said the project’s construction is being completed in phases so the park could remain open during the renovations expected to be complete by the Spring of 2023.
FDEP offers grants to municipalities to provide for outdoor recreational amenities at public parks through their Florida Recreation Development Assistance grant program.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- News2022.12.06Broward Democratic Party Holds Annual Meeting and Holiday Party
- News2022.12.06South Florida Hindu Society Hosts Networking Event Dec. 10
- News2022.12.06Annual Light Up Tamarac Grand Chanukah Festival Includes LED Robots and 9-foot Menorah
- News2022.12.06City of Tamarac Holds Annual ‘Paws With Claus’ Holiday Party Dec. 10