By: Saraana Jamraj
Tamarac is celebrating Black History Month with a variety of movies, music, discussions, and events.
Black History Month was first celebrated in 1970 after black educators and students at Kent University proposed it—it is meant to celebrate and educate important figures, events, and history in the African-American diaspora.
For the United States, and for Tamarac, where almost a third of the population is black, it’s an especially important time. Luckily, there are plenty of ways in which residents can participate.
Friday, February 7
The celebrations kick-off as part of their Movies in the Park series, with Marvel’s Black Panther at Tamarac Sports Complex at 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, February 8
The city will host a Teen Summit featuring special guest speakers at the Tamarac Community Center at 10:00 a.m. The theme is “Choices and Consequences” and will also touch on human trafficking, vaping, and suicide. The admission fee is $5.
Wednesday, February 12
The city commission meeting will feature children’s art displays and honoring individuals who impact the community. The reception will take place at Tamarac City Hall at 6:00 p.m.
Thursday, February 13
Seniors can get in on all of the action, as the Tamarac Community Center will throw a senior dance Motown party called “Stop in the Name of Love” at 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, February 20
The celebration will continue with an adult trip to Karibu—an African American Heritage Exhibit a the Palm Beach Design Showroom.
Saturday, February 22
The festivities will conclude with the most significant event yet— the ONE Tamarac: Multicultural Festival featuring legendary hip-hop group, Sugar Hill Gang at 4:00 p.m. in the Tamarac Sports Complex.
- Saraana Selene Jamraj is a writer, activist, and a student pursuing her master's degree in mass communications at Florida International University.
She's currently the communications manager at The Salt Box in Parkland and has lived in Coral Springs since 2004.
- News2020.02.21Apply Now for Over 800 Census Jobs in Tamarac
- News2020.02.19Bolton Announces Bold New Plans for Seniors and Residents at Tamarac Fundraiser
- Events2020.02.17Tamarac Wants to Hear from Parents of Children with Special Needs
- News2020.02.13‘All Muscle Saturdays’ Workout Classes Held at Tamarac Fitness Court