By: Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Tamarac will be hosting the Mayor’s Chess Challenge this Saturday – a free event that is part of a countywide initiative by local mayors to highlight the benefits of chess for children.
Each year, several hundred players fill the Tamarac Community Center, and now with the increased popularity of chess in schools, there maybe even more. Mayor Harry Dressler believes that chess helps sharpen concentration and logical thinking, and on the chessboard, everyone’s equal.
Created by Sunrise Mayor Mike Ryan in 2014 as a way to highlight the benefits of chess in an academic environment, each month during the school year, it rotates to different Broward County cities.
Join Mayor Michelle Gomez on Saturday, October 27, 2018, from 10 a.m. to noon; everyone is welcome to attend with no advance registration. Meet local mayors and commissioners from neighboring cities.
The Tamarac Community Center at 8601 West Commercial Boulevard. Map it.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.
- News2020.05.25COVID-19 Cases in Tamarac from the Florida Department of Health May 25
- News2020.05.22COVID-19 Cases in Tamarac from the Florida Department of Health May 22
- News2020.05.22Tamarac’s Drinking Water Undergoes Routine Chlorination June 9
- News2020.05.20COVID-19 Cases in Tamarac from the Florida Department of Health May 20