By: Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Tamarac will be hosting the Mayor’s Chess Challenge this Saturday – a free event that is part of a countywide initiative by local mayors to highlight the benefits of chess for children.
Each year, several hundred players fill the Tamarac Community Center, and now with the increased popularity of chess in schools, there maybe even more. Mayor Harry Dressler believes that chess helps sharpen concentration and logical thinking, and on the chessboard, everyone’s equal.
Created by Sunrise Mayor Mike Ryan in 2014 as a way to highlight the benefits of chess in an academic environment, each month during the school year, it rotates to different Broward County cities.
Join Mayor Michelle Gomez on Saturday, October 27, 2018, from 10 a.m. to noon; everyone is welcome to attend with no advance registration. Meet local mayors and commissioners from neighboring cities.
The Tamarac Community Center at 8601 West Commercial Boulevard. Map it.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.05.07Investigation Into Public Records Media Leak May Cost Tamarac Taxpayers up to $50,000
- News2021.05.06Broward County Votes to Change the Woodlands Golf Greens into Homes
- News2021.05.052 Injured in Vehicle Crash in Tamarac
- News2021.04.30Patient Thanks Doctors and Nurses for Saving Her Life 1 Year After Near-Fatal Heart Attack