By Issac Ray
After pointing a BB gun at a neighbor during a dispute, a Tamarac man was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon.
On April 11, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call from a residence near the 5800 block of 57th Court. When deputies arrived, they were greeted by a victim who alleged his neighbor had become angry and threatened him with a gun.
According to the report, the victim said he was standing on his patio when he and his neighbor, later identified as Maurice Dixon, 22, became engaged in a verbal dispute. The victim told deputies Dixon asked him “what the f— he was looking at,” to which he replied, “this is the United States.”
The victim told deputies Dixon became irate and was waving around a beer bottle threatening him. He said the two exchanged words for some time before Dixon eventually took out what appeared to be a handgun and pointed it at him. After Dixon told him he would shoot up his home, the victim said he ran inside and called 911.
The report said a witness to the altercation attempted to de-escalate the situation. Still, Dixon only put away the handgun and went back into his home after a neighbor told him the police were coming.
After interviewing the victim and witnesses who all saw Dixon brandish what appeared to be a firearm, he admitted to taking out a BB gun, which appeared to look like a real gun. He escorted deputies inside his residence and showed them the gun, which he had hidden in a box above his refrigerator following the incident.
Although it was only a BB gun, Dixon had made threats indicating it was real, making the victim fear for his life.
Dixon was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon without the intent to kill and transported to the Broward County Main Jail, where he was later released after posting a $1,500 bond.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsNovember 30, 2023Tamarac Man Charged with Felony Burglary and Battery in Brutal Attack on Pregnant Ex
- NewsNovember 28, 2023City of Tamarac Holds Holiday Lighting Festival on November 30
- NewsNovember 28, 2023Paws with Claus Holiday Paw-ty Takes Place at Gary B Jones Park on December 9
- NewsNovember 27, 20234th Annual Hope for the Holidays Toy Distribution Takes Place on December 16