By Ryan Yousefi
A Tamarac man is facing charges of domestic battery by strangulation following allegations of attempting to drown and strangle a woman during an incident at a community swimming pool.
On September 8, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office responded to a residence near the 8400 block of Northwest 61st Street after receiving a 911 call reporting an alleged domestic battery by strangulation.
Upon arrival, deputies encountered a victim who claimed that her alleged attacker, later identified as Andres Arias, 32, of Tamarac, had pushed and held her head underwater for approximately 30 seconds inside an apartment pool.
According to the victim, she could only free herself and escape Arias’s attack after striking him with open-handed blows to his arms and face.
The victim described a chaotic scene in which, following her escape to the surface, Arias allegedly tightened his grip around her neck so that she struggled to breathe for about ten seconds.
At one point, the victim told deputies Arias released his grip, allowing her to flee to the leasing office to seek help.
Tamarac Fire Rescue arrived on the scene and assessed the victim, who, while shaken up, was found to be in stable condition without any serious injuries.
After a brief investigation, BSO deputies arrested Arias and transported him to the Broward County Main Jail. He was later released after posting a $3,000 bond.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsDecember 5, 2023Paws with Claus Holiday Paw-ty Takes Place at Gary B Jones Park on December 9
- NewsDecember 5, 20234th Annual Hope for the Holidays Toy Distribution Takes Place on December 16
- NewsDecember 5, 2023Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Toy Drive Spreads Holiday Cheer
- NewsDecember 5, 2023Senior Citizen Wreaks Havoc During DMV Eye Exam, Faces Charges for Equipment Demolition