It’s a beautiful Monday morning in the City of Tamarac. Should I take the children to the playground at the Tamarac Sports Complex? Out with the dogs at the Gary B. Jones Dog Park? How about Sunset Point Park?
Unfortunately, we can’t do any of the above.
Tamarac Parks are still closed on Mondays and have been since 2010 when the city was faced with a $4.7 million budget gap. Besides raising the tax rate, elected officials voted to close the parks and community center one day a week.
Once closed on Mondays, city officials never looked into opening them again.
What started as an inconvenience has turned into an outright slap in the face to the taxpayers of Tamarac. There seems to be no end in sight to these Monday closures.
Not only is this an inconvenience for our stay-at-home parents, Monday closures continue on holidays such as Labor Day, Memorial Day, and school breaks throughout the year. Days that our parks should be open for use.
Don’t worry, this “Playful City USA” is fortunate enough to have great neighbors in Coral Springs, Sunrise, Margate and Lauderhill who welcome us to use the parks in their cities.
Cities that don’t close their parks on Mondays.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.02.07BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet in Tamarac
- News2023.02.06Tragic Murder Mystery Solved: Two Suspects Arrested for Killing of Tamarac Resident
- News2023.02.06Apply Now for $1,200 Scholarships Offered to Florida College Students
- News2023.02.03Bite into Bliss and Empower Young Women: Get Your Boxes of Girl Scout Cookies Today