By Agrippina Fadel
Gabriel Nunez is back home and cancer free.
The Tamarac resident, battling an aggressive form of testicular cancer for over three years, received life-saving treatment in an Indiana clinic. He said his body responded well, and the cancer is in remission.
Gabriel, 32, of Tamarac’s Plum Bay community, received costly treatment after overwhelming support from his community through a GoFundMe campaign that raised over $46,000 for his medical expenses, most of it in the first 24 hours.
His godmother Barbara Fonte started the campaign after his doctors at the University of Miami said he had reached the end of what science could do for him within the clinic’s expertise. His physician then referred him to an expert in Indiana who has been credited with helping many patients with testicular cancer reach remission.
The high-dose chemotherapy with a stem cell transplant that the Indiana clinic provided was the last-resort treatment for Gabriel, and thankfully, it worked.
“The treatment cycle went better than expected. The nurses and doctors knew how to treat the symptoms and did a good job keeping me comfortable. Overall, I am happy it is done and excited to go back to the normal routine,” said Gabriel, adding that he will have follow-up visits with his doctors in Miami and Indiana, but for now, he seems to be in the clear.
Gabriel thanked the community for continued support, prayers, and positive energy at a Sunday celebration at Tradewinds Park in Coconut Creek.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk. Don’t miss reading Margate Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Parkland Talk.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- News2023.06.08Tamarac Fire Rescue Employees Recognized During the EMS Week Awards
- News2023.06.06Capital Tacos Holds Grand Opening of Tamarac Location
- News2023.06.05Strike for a Cause by Joining the 6th Annual Chamber Bowling Tournament in Tamarac
- News2023.06.05Get Your Groove On During Free Jazzercise Class with the Mayor