By: Jen Russon
Tamarac residents are banding together to fight their city commissioners’ 3-2 vote to rename two streets by way of a petition that has already garnered 531 signatures.
During a March 24 commission meeting, Mayor Gomez and Commissioner Villalobos were the only no’s on renaming Southgate Blvd. to Alcee Hastings Boulevard but were outvoted by Commissioners Bolton, Gelin, and Placko.
They voted the same way to change NW 108th Terrace to Diane Glasser Terrace. However, some Tamarac residents aren’t having it.
Petitioners David Mansell and BettyAnne Walter said they plan to attend the next commission meeting on April 14 to encourage Commissioner Debra Placko to change her vote.
“The residents of Tamarac do not want to see Southgate Blvd changed or altered in any way. It has had that name for well over 30 years. It serves as a landmark as well as the dividing line between Tamarac and Coral Springs,” said Walter.
Walter added she lives in Tamarac’s Sunflower community and thinks it’s important to follow local politics.
“Considering the polarization in today’s society pertaining to politics and race, it’s really not a wise decision to rename, or even add the name of a politician of any political party or race, to any street,” she said.
Her thoughts were echoed by David Mansell, who started the petition. They had expected 100 signatures at most but, as of today, are more than halfway toward their goal.
The Commissioners, particularly Debra Placko, need to know where we stand,” said Mansell.
We reached out by phone to Commissioner Debra Placko, left a message, and texted her, but she didn’t return any of our inquiries.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- News2022.04.12Taravella Drama Club Presents JPT’s Got Talent on April 22
- News2022.02.11‘Huge Garage Sale’ Hosted by J.P. Taravella’s Drama Club Returns on February 26
- News2022.01.07Broward Interim Superintendent Cartwright Answers Pressing Questions at Meet and Chat Event
- News2021.12.07Tamarac to Give Tribute to Late Veterinarian at Dog Park