By Agrippina Fadel
The Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce’s inaugural “Women in Pink” luncheon was a resounding success, with a sold-out attendance and proceeds benefiting local charities.
Peter Mason, the Executive Director of the Chamber, reported that the event had 184 attendees, exceeding the planned capacity of 150, and featured seven local businesses that provided services and products.
JP Taravella Pro Start Culinary students catered the event with a delicious meal.
Mason thanked the Chamber Board and all the sponsors for helping to organize the event geared towards promoting female entrepreneurs’ empowerment and achievements.
Lori Alhadeff, School Board Member for District 4 and Chair of the Broward County School Board, was the keynote speaker for the luncheon and shared the tragic story of her daughter Alyssa’s death during the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting.
Alhadeff talked about her activism after the tragedy and her work with “Alyssa’s Law” and the Make Our Schools Safe non-profit.
The City of Tamarac leadership was presented at the event by Mayor Michelle Gomez, who gave a speech about the perseverance and bravery of women who battled cancer and shared her insights into being a woman in business and politics.
Also in attendance were commissioners Elvin Villalobos, Morey Wright, and Dr. Kicia Daniel, joined at the table by City Manager Levent Sucuoglu and Assistant City Manager Maxine Callaway.
North Lauderdale Mayor Samson Borgelin helped in the proceedings and was joined by Vice Mayor Regina Martin and Commissioner “Dee” Ricketts at the event.
Mason reported to Tamarac Talk that the luncheon raised $2,000, with $800 distributed between Aden Perry Good Samaritan and Scholarship Fund, JP Taravella Pro Start, and Make Our Schools Safe. The rest of the funds will help organize next year’s event.
Mason said the luncheon will return every year on the third Wednesday of October to mark the National Chamber of Commerce Day.
The event was generously supported by PuroClean as the Title Sponsor, FPL and Waste Management as Gold Sponsors, and Broward Health Coral Springs as Silver Sponsor. The City of Tamarac sponsored the Event Host and Tamarac Talk joined the event as the Dessert Sponsor.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- NewsDecember 3, 2023Ticket Alert: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga Tribute Show at the Palace
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Doo-Wop Delight: Don’t Miss a Night of Nostalgia with John Tarangelo at the Kings Point Palace
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Don’t Miss the 43nd Annual Tamarac Turkey Trot
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo