By: Sharon Aron Baron
Tephford park in Tamarac may soon be the first city in South Florida to offer a Fitness Court featuring a unique area for all levels of exercise.
A 16-acre linear park with a 1.5 mile multi-purpose path, Tephford park is used by 150 visitors per day. It is also a trailhead for the Cypress Creek Greenway – part of the 23.2-mile trail that runs along the C-14 Canal.
The project will have a National Fitness Campaign Fitness Court, concrete pad with safety surfacing, a 40’ x 40’ shade structure, concrete paths leading to the fitness court and will include drainage work. If approved on Wednesday, the total project budget will be $240,772, which includes a grant for $15,000 to be applied towards the purchase of the Fitness Court equipment.
Greg Warner, director of Parks and Recreation for Tamarac explained there will be a wall with several fitness components placed on it – and there will also be a connection with an app.
“You can do a seven minute workout, you can do a longer workout,” said Warner. “The app will lead you through the workout and you can stay connected with other users in other cities.”
Brandee Smith, organizer of Healthy Chicks Meetup group walked several miles around Tephford Park last week. She believes anything that is free, available to the public which motivates them to work out is phenomenal.
“We find [Tephford Park] very scenic. It has canals, the sunset on one side, wide opens spaces – and dogs are allowed too,” she said.
DW Recreation Services, based out of Palm Beach County, specializes in playground equipment and has completed projects for Caporella Park, the Tamarac Sports Complex, Sunset Point Park and Tamarac Park.
The Parks and Recreation Foundation of Tamarac has approved sponsoring the purchase of the Fitness Court at a $20,000 level and will provide a design on the back of the fitness wall that people traveling down Southgate Blvd will see.
Warner said maintenance will require two staff hours per week. Anticipated completion for the project will be in the fall of 2019.
Tephford Park is located at 10003 Southgate Blvd, Tamarac, FL 33321
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2022.01.19Mayor Gomez Reselected to National League of Cities Fed Advocacy Committee
- News2022.01.14Man Loses 83 Pounds After Bariatric Surgery
- News2022.01.05Pets of the Week: Prince, Mia and Nami Are Looking for Forever Homes
- News2022.01.03Tamarac Offering Environmentally-Friendly Christmas Tree Disposal