By: Sharon Aron Baron
Congressman Alcee Hastings has just announced that he is undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer.
In a statement, Hastings said he is being treated at the Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.
“I was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and in the midst of this traumatizing news, I found myself wondering not only if I would survive this disease, but also if it would impact my ability to perform my duties,” said Hastings. “Now that I have begun treatment, I feel hopeful about survival and about my ability to continue serving my constituents of Florida’s 20th Congressional district and the nation.”
Hastings doctors told him that the advancement in the treatment of cancer is evolutionary and the success rates continue to climb resulting in a dramatic decrease in the number of cancer-related deaths.
Hastings has represented Florida’s 20th Congressional District since 2013. The district covers not only Tamarac, but Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. He was elected to the United States House of Representatives in 1992 first representing Florida’s 23rd district. After placing second in the initial Democratic primary for the post, he scored an upset victory over state representative Lois J. Frankel in the runoff and went on to easily win election in the heavily Democratic district. He has not faced a serious challenge for reelection since.
“I have been convinced that this is a battle worth fighting, and my life is defined by fighting battles worth fighting. Should it become clear that this cancer which has invaded my body cannot be defeated, I will tell you so.
He said he released the statement, because he wanted to be the source providing his constituents with this information.
“I ask for your prayers at this time.”
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2020.11.25Tamarac History: Former U.S. Congressman Once Made his Home in the Woodlands Country Club
- News2020.11.25Man Posing as Roofing Contractor Arrested After Scamming Tamarac Resident
- News2020.11.23City of Tamarac Continues with Residential Assistance Program
- News2020.11.19Tamarac Crime Update and Arrests Through November 16