By: Matt Rothman
J.P. Taravella boys basketball continues to improve as the season goes on, winning their last two games.
The Trojans had been on a three-game losing streak and had losses in four of their first five games, with their lone victory against Hollywood Hills High School.
However, they picked up wins against Coral Springs Charter 69-48 before beating Kings Academy by five on Friday in the Kruel Classic, which is a premier high school basketball tournament in Coral Springs. Even more impressive, the Lions came into the game with an 8-1 record but fell for the first time since their loss to Royal Palm Beach High School.
Arturo Meeks had a game-high 20 points. Fernando Garrido had 18, while James Dixson recorded 16, and Graysen Samuel led the team in rebounds.
“One of our biggest problems thus far has been slow starts, said Head Coach Curtis Bonny. “We have been looking forward to being a part of the Kreul Tournament this year, and to be given the Tip-Off Game, it was important that we not only start our game off strong but the tournament as well.”
Next, JPT will play the winner of Vierra and Pompano Beach High School. The Hawks are 4-2, while the Tornados are 2-4 this season. This semifinals matchup will be set for Monday, December 20, at 5 p.m.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 14, 2023J.P. Taravella Girls Volleyball Off to Best Start in 11 Years
- NewsSeptember 12, 2023J.P. Taravella’s Javi Miranda Commits to Join 3 Former Teammates in College
- NewsSeptember 6, 2023J.P. Taravella Boys Cross Country Finish 5th in Opening Race
- NewsAugust 17, 2023J.P. Taravella’s Anthony Quigley Plays in Baseball Factory All-American Game