By: Sharon Aron Baron
Have you ever heard the phrase, “It’s like flushing money down the toilet.” If you have older toilets in your home that use more than 1.6 gallons of water per flush, then you are probably really flushing money down your toilet.
November 19 is World Toilet Day. Yes, proof that there is a day for literally everything. But this is serious business: World Toilet Day was created to raise global awareness of the struggle 2.6 billion people face every day without access to proper, clean sanitation.
The City of Tamarac as well as Broward County wants residents to think about water conservation on World Toilet Day. By replacing old toilets and upgrading to a new WaterSense High Efficiency model, they could save up to 77 percent of water with every flush. Since toilets can account for 30 to 35 percent of household water use, this would result in an impressive savings in both water and money.
According to spokesperson Elise Boston, Tamarac has a long-standing toilet rebate program that offers up to $100 for each of two toilets per household, and to date they have approved more than 1,900 rebates.
Residents learn about the program via utility bills, Tam-A-Gram, the website, flyers and the City’s water conservation specialist who speaks at community meetings and works with condo associations on program implementation. Tamarac also offer free low-flow shower heads in areas where they’re needed.
If you would like to replace your 1.6 gallon toilet with a a high efficiency model, please contact water conservation specialist, Bill Franqui, (954) 597-3792.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.
- News2020.05.29COVID-19 Cases in Tamarac from the Florida Department of Health May 28
- News2020.05.285 Tamarac Seniors Graduate from Calvary Christian Academy During ‘Drive-in’ Ceremony
- News2020.05.28BSO Investigates Multi-Vehicle Crash in Tamarac
- News2020.05.27COVID-19 Cases in Tamarac from the Florida Department of Health May 27