By: Matt Rothman
There are not many players in the county playing better than Fernando Garrido and Arturo Meeks of the J.P. Taravella boys basketball team.
The two have recorded 127 points during the Trojans’ three-game win streak.
“They have been working extremely hard for this moment,” said Head Coach Curtis Bonny. “After a shortened COVID season last year with five games, no one had either of these guys on their radar, so they wanted to make a statement. They work great together and are core to the identity of our team both offensively and defensively.”
JPT defeated Coral Glades 74-68 on January 19 as Garrido finished with a game-high 31 while Meeks added 11. Then, in their next matchup, Meeks was the leading scorer with 28 while Garrido added 18 before the two combined for 37 in their overtime win over Piper High School on Monday
The Trojans trailed 38-32 at halftime after strong shooting from the Tigers. JPT then came back and took the lead late but ended up going to overtime, where the Trojans allowed only four points to pick up the victory.
“We played a very scrappy Piper team that came out shooting hot in the first and second quarter,” Coach Bonny said. “We came back after halftime with some defensive adjustments that help chip away at the lead.”
JPT currently has a record of 7-9 and previously picked up wins earlier this year against Hollywood Hills, Coral Springs Charter, Kings Academy, and Planation High School before winning their last three games.
Next, JPT will play Coral Springs High School on Thursday, January 27 at 7:30. before they host senior night on January 31 against Elite Academy at 6 p.m. at FTX Arena.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor's degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school.
- News2022.08.30J.P. Taravella and Coral Springs High School Set Personal Records in 1st Cross Country Meet
- News2022.04.29J.P. Taravella Boys Volleyball Wins District Championship
- News2022.04.12J.P. Taravella Baseball Defeats Top Team in the State
- News2022.03.10Josh Boyd of J.P. Taravella Commits to Play College Baseball