By Ryan Yousefi
A Tamarac man was arrested and charged with domestic battery by strangulation after choking a woman that asked him to turn down the volume on a religious video he was watching.
On the evening of April 10, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office responded to a domestic violence call in which the victim alleged having been strangled by a man, later identified as Leroy Jackson, 53, of Tamarac.
According to the arrest report, the victim told responding deputies that the altercation began after she asked Jackson to lower the volume of a religious video he was watching on his cellphone while she was trying to sleep.
The report says the victim told law enforcement that the verbal argument escalated to a physical altercation after Jackson grew angry at her request. She told deputies she pushed Jackson away, but he responded by placing both hands on her neck and squeezing to the point of restricting her airflow.
The victim stated she could barely speak and contacted 911 immediately after the defendant released her neck.
According to the report, the victim allowed pictures to be taken of her injuries but refused to provide a sworn taped statement.
After interviewing both the victim and Jackson, deputies took Jackson into arrested Jackson and transported him to the Broward County Main Jail where he was later released on a $1,500 bond.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk. Don’t miss reading Margate Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Parkland Talk.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- News2023.05.30Legacy of Scholars Golf Classic Held at Woodmont Country Club on June 3
- Crime & Safety2023.05.27Robbery Turns Violent: Stepfather and Son Arrested in Stabbing Attack that Sends Victim to Hospital
- News2023.05.23North Lauderdale Fire Explorer Program Hosts Open House for Interested Youth on May 27
- News2023.05.20Homeless and Pregnant Woman Stabbed After Seeking Refuge in Tamarac Hotel Room